Clinical Musicianship (Level 2)
This is the second of two parts of an independent study course in the philosophy and practicum of the clinical science and art of healthcare music. Completing CMCP Level 1 is a prerequisite for Level 2. The program is a self-paced home study course for singers and instrumentalists who wish to become certified practitioners of clinical music at the bedside. This training program meets the accreditation requirements of the National Standards Board for Therapeutic Music (NSBTM), nsbtm.org.
Those studying Level 2 will have successfully completed Level 1 of the Clinical Musician Certification Program (CMCP). Level 2 focuses on scientific studies of the effect of music, self-care practices, musical sensitivity, improvisation in modal music, business skills, and practical experience in bedside music. Students who successfully complete Level 2 earn the title of Certified Clinical Musician (CCM). Graduates of the program are required to submit an average of 10 continuing education units (CEUs) every year after certification. See Guidelines for CEUs.
No travel is required. The tuition includes the Level 2 course notebook in PDF form, access to the login portion of the Harp for Healing website, up to eight hours of mentoring time from a CMCP authorized mentor, final assessment and certification. and access to a CMCP closed Facebook page, Google discussion group, and online book studies and roundtables. Mentoring is done by email, Skype, FaceTime, Zoom, or any other medium that is agreeable to the student and mentor. Those who wish to travel for one-on-one coaching may make special arrangements with their mentor.
Course Objectives for students
- To apply the knowledge and skills learned in Level 1 and Level 2 to the practical considerations of playing at the bedside in a healthcare facility or other venue
- To develop the ability to make effective presentations about therapeutic music and its benefits
- To develop knowledge of the practice, application, philosophy and science of music in healthcare
- To develop musical flexibility and comfort at the bedside
- To develop skill in assessing and observing patient needs and responses
- To learn how to modify a musical approach to meet the patient’s changing needs based on continuous observation throughout a session
- To gain a general knowledge of the field of medicine and its relationship to therapeutic music work
- To become familiar with healthcare facilities and develop the ability to work cooperatively and creatively with medical professionals in clinical environments
- To be aware of business skills such as marketing and planning that are necessary to support the development of a therapeutic music practice
- To develop ever-deepening compassion for self and others; to develop or enhance a self-care plan
- To develop the ability to become present and remain focused in the midst of interruptions and distractions
- To cultivate self-awareness and understanding of yourself and your gifts
- To become a Certified Clinical Musician
Required Reading: (Purchased by student unless indicated otherwise)
- CMCP Level 2 Course Notebook (in PDF form)--provided by home office.
- The Art of Being a Healing Presence by James E. Miller
- The Power of Music by Elena Mannes
- The NSBTM Presentation Planner – www.nsbtm.org
- Subscription to the Harp Therapy Journal - www. harptherapyjournal.com
- Two books of your choice related to therapeutic music (click on link to view suggested reading)
- One book of your choice related to meditation, devotional readings, yoga, relaxation techniques or other form of self-care
Topics included in the course curriculum
- Integrative Anatomy and the Resonant System
- The Relaxation Effect
- Self-care Assessment and Planning
- Modal music improvisation
- Music for Different Patient Populations
- Case Studies
- Making Effective Presentations
- Developing Presentation Support Materials
- Visioning and Planning Your Practice
- Preparing for Bedside music – Logistics, spiels, stories
TUITION FOR CMCP LEVEL 2: $775 USD This includes a PDF of the course notebook and access to on-line resources through the Harp for Healing website. Students are required to purchase or acquire other required materials on their own.
(CMCP Level 1 must be completed before applying for CMCP Level 2. There is no application fee if student has completed CMCP Level 1 within the prior 12 months. After 12 months, there will be a $50 application fee. Contact the home office for details.)
CLICK ON "APPLY NOW" TO APPLY ON-LINE