Level 1 (Basic)
Basic Clinical Musicianship (Level 1)
This is the first of two parts of an independent study course in the philosophy and practicum of the clinical science and art of healthcare music. The program is a self-paced and accredited home study course for singers and instrumentalists who wish to become practitioners of clinical music at the bedside. The course is open to intermediate or advanced musicians. Appropriate instruments include harp, Native American flute, guitar, keyoard, voice, and others. Please contact the program office to inquire about the appropriateness of your instrument.
Level 1 provides an introduction to clinical music concepts and therapeutic music skills. In order to complete Level 1, a student will read and write book reports, demonstrate an ability to play the basic therapeutic music styles in a smooth and flowing manner, plus satisfactorily complete the final exam. A student who successfully completes Level 1 is qualified to register for Level 2 for further studies into the science of therapeutic music, self care, business skills, and practical skills of bedside music. A student who successfully completes Level 2 earns the title of “Certified Clinical Musician (CCM)”.
Because the course is a self-study course, no travel is required. The Level 1 tuition includes the course notebook, access to the Program website, Google discussion and Facebook groups, seven hours of mentoring, and final submission assessment. Mentoring is done by email, Skype, FaceTime, phone or any mode that is acceptable to the student and mentor. Those who wish to travel may make personal arrangements with their mentor or home office.
Please note: Program communications and announcements are done via email and a substantial amount of course materials are located on the participant website, so a good internet connection is required. All materials are in the English language, so proficiency in written and spoken English is essential.
- To gain an understanding of the practice of therapeutic music, its applications and how it differs from performance music
- To gain a broad understanding of the philosophies and science of healthcare music
- To gain an understanding of practices and protocols of healthcare facilities that affect you as a clinical musician
- To gain an understanding of and develop proficiency in basic therapeutic music skills and styles
- To develop a core of musical offerings that provide comfort and flexibility during a bedside therapeutic music session
- To develop and demonstrate the ability to play therapeutic music in an appropriate, relaxed and flowing manner
- To gain an understanding of how to match your music to each patient’s needs and how to determine the effectiveness of the music
- To develop confidence in one’s ability and expertise
- To develop compassion for those in need)
- To develop a deeper awareness of one’s own gifts and how to use them
- To prepare to play therapeutic music at the bedside for hospital and hospice patients in CMCP Level 2
- CMCP Level 1 Course notebook, which includes Basic Clinical Musicianship by Laurie Riley; provided by home office as a PDF. A hard copy is available for purchase if desired.
- Body, Mind and Music – Laurie Riley (Please order directly from Laurie Riley for best service.)
- Therapeutic Harp Presentation Video -- Provided courtesy of Musiatry.com and harptherapyjournal.com.
Topics included in the course curriculum
- History of Therapeutic Music
- Terminology, Principles, and Concepts of Therapeutic Music
- Modern Applications of Therapeutic Music
- Service vs. Performance
- Clinical Vocabulary
- Basic Music Structures
- Music as a Language
- Therapeutic Repertoire Styles
- Modifying Your Own Repertoire for the Bedside
- Improvisation and Memorization
- Modes and Their Uses
- Introduction to Resonance
- Introduction to Palliative Care
- Introduction to Bodymind Studies and Science Concepts Behind Therapeutic Music
- Healthcare Protocols and Infection Control
- Complementary Health Care Modalities
TUITION FOR CMCP LEVEL 1: $625 USD plus a non-refundable $50 application fee. This includes the course notebook and access to on-line resources through the Harp for Healing website. Students are required to purchase or acquire other required materials on their own.
Click "APPLY NOW" TO APPLY ONLINE
Click here to apply by mail: DOWNLOAD PAPER APPLICATION